Wednesday 24 July 2013

Sweet and Savoury

Sweet and savoury – a scaring combination.


Ever since I was dared to eat an onion ring dipped in jam at a sleepover in primary school, I have never been able to dishes that contain sweet and savoury components. Some may think I’m being over dramatic for attention, but the thought of eating ham and pineapple pizza, for example, makes my skin crawl. I would never have thought a childish game that was supposed to be entertaining would have changed my opinion of certain foods forever.

I realise it was a long time ago, but I can still recall every sound, smell and taste of that moment when I decided to surrender to peer pressure, and proceed to put an entire onion ring smothered in strawberry jam into my unwilling mouth.

Even before I had taken a bite, I knew I would live to regret the moment. The background chanting and high pitched squeals of my friends as I encountered the vile combination of sickly sweet jam and salty, pungent onion forced me to swallow. It felt like I was being force-fed.

I’m not sure why I felt it necessary to go through with this dare. Maybe it was the immature desire to fit in and be the centre of attention, or perhaps a subconscious urge to be portrayed as a daredevil. Whatever the reason, I know if I could go back and relive this primary school sleepover; I would have refused the dare.

Although it isn’t a life-threatening situation, I would love to be able to order classic combinations in a restaurant, such as cheese and grapes. However I have come to accept I will never give a second thought to ordering a sweet and savoury dish.

Georgia




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving us a comment - we will share them at our group meetings