Monday 24 June 2013

Drama Dramas!

The last two weeks, the teens have been working with a journalist, Jacky, from Brighton.  Jacky has challenged the young people and encouraged them to really push themselves to produce final pieces.  Over the next few days we will see some of their results....

A couple of weeks ago, I had to perform my Ks3 final piece for drama. My group was doing Pinocchio (I was Jiminy Cricket) and I was in a group with my friends Agnes and Aderiike. We had practised a lot (we were given 10 weeks to prepare) we had learnt our lines and I had put a lot of effort into our set and props. The only problem was- we are the quiet ones of the group and to be honest, compared to other people, we weren’t exactly comfortable on stage. And then it came to the day of the performance. My heart was pounding as I walked onto the stage.
To me, the performance was just 7 minutes of pain. So much went wrong during it! We had missed out parts, our props got muddled up and our set fell down during the final scene. After that, I just felt embarrassed. 
Then, last Friday, our teacher was giving us our results. I was sure I had a low level. And then when I was about to receive my results, she told me that I had the highest mark in the class. I couldn’t believe it! Our group got 20 out of 20 marks for our group work and I got 28 out of 30 marks for my performance. I got a 7a! Maybe the performance was better than I thought, maybe she liked my art skills on the set, or maybe she just felt sorry for us. Either way, I know that there were definitely better actors in my year. There are girls in that class that are talented and confident and long to be on stage. There are boys who, even though they might be annoying in class, are funny and entertaining in each and every performance they do. Yet, it was me who got the highest mark. The girl who once, had to play the donkey in the nativity play in primary school (whilst all my friends were playing angels). And even though that confuses me, it also makes me feel really happy.

Reported by Megan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving us a comment - we will share them at our group meetings